A formal announcement...info and updates :)
Dear Friends and Family,
We wanted to make a formal announcement that our two newest daughters have arrived!!!
Ella Marie and Preslyn Kylar arrived at St. Luke’s Episcopal Hospital in the downtown medical center on November 7 at 5:09 a.m. Ella weighed 3lbs. 12 oz. and was 17 ½ inches long and Preslyn followed her into the world at 3lbs. 7 oz. and 16 ½ inches long.
They are now at Texas Children’s Hospital right next door in the NICU. Since they were 31 week babies, they are in the level 3 of the NICU which is the most intensive care of the NICU. They are both dealing with the same issues, one being respiratory due to their immature lungs. They are both intubated and on ventilators that are allowing them to breathe on their own and assist them about 38%. This is down from where they were at 50%, so they are slowly coming off of the oxygen and may be able to be totally off in a few days if they continue. They are both slightly jaundiced which is also totally normal, so they are wearing their cute little eye masks while they are under the lights. This should start to level out in a few days as well, and when they start them on feeds that should help start to flush out those toxins as well. They may be starting feeds tomorrow or the day after if all continues well.
The hardest part has been not to be able to hold them. They both have belly lines in their umbilical cords which allow them to not have to be stuck continuously for blood work, etc. but when they are in we can’t hold them. The good thing is they only leave those in for 7-10 days, and after that we can hold them!!! Oh how that will be such a great day! It is still up in the air when they will be home…probably at a minimum in 4-5 weeks, but it could be sooner, it could be later, we just have to go day by day, because things change on a daily, hourly basis.
BJ has been by my side helping me to recover. It’s been nice to get to spend time together just the two of us, even though mostly we’ve been just so exhausted we can hardly keep our eyes open, it’s been refreshing. Since I’ve been here at the hospital for 45 days, we are enjoying the time together. I am scheduled to go home TOMORROW which is an unbelievable thought. We are praying the girls will have a speedy discharge, so we don’t have to drive back and forth every day, but it will probably be a few weeks until that happens.
Hayden has been a trooper. She was able to see the babies shortly after they arrived, but didn’t seem too interested. She was more concerned with where was mommy J She is doing really well though and I am anxious to get back home and be a part of her life again.
My recovery is going well. The day of the surgery was pretty rough, obviously, but I have slowly been gaining back my mobility and am feeling better with each day.
The girls were scheduled to be delivered today, but during my monitoring on Tuesday they were very unreactive in their heart rates. They were having no heart accelerations and they were not moving inside me. So we watched and did an ultrasound, but it was inconclusive. They said there were many factors that could be causing them not to be reactive, but most of those could only be determined upon delivery, so instead of being sorry, the doctors decided to do an emergency c-section. So I called BJ at 3 am and two hours later we welcomed our precious girls into the world. We didn’t have much time to alert many people, so we are trying to backtrack and make sure everyone has been informed.
We really appreciate all of your support and prayers through this pregnancy. So far our girls are doing great; they just need time to mature. Thank you for those who have visited and sent flowers and messages. They are beautiful!
For those who are going to want to see the babies when the do arrive home, please get your flu shot!!! Right now is one of the most dangerous times to have a baby, since it is RSV season, and we will have to be extremely careful so that they do not get it. RSV can be life-threatening to a baby, even more so a preemie. Most likely we will not be able to take them out of the house for a while, so we ask that you get your flu shot so you can come see them at the house.
As always, we will keep our family blog updated with pictures and news so please check it out!! www.munsons.blogspot.com
BJ, Lindsay, Hayden, Ella and Preslyn